Beware of Bleach

Bleach is not effective.
Plus it is hazardous to your health.

Using bleach and other chemicals is bad advice. Here is what the experts say:

US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

In the past, even the EPA recommended cleaning mold infested areas with bleach and water, and you can still find this advice on some websites dealing with mold. On their website in an article entitled “A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home”, the EPA now says:

“The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation.”

The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)

In answer to the question of whether bleach should be used in mold remediation, the AIHA says:

  1. Biocides like bleach do not remove allergens that can lead to allergies in sensitive individuals nor do they remove other metabolites from mold that can cause adverse reactions in some people.
  2. Commonly used chemicals do not effectively kill molds. For example, active fungal growth on a surface may produce a spore density of 1 million spores per square inch. Treating this site with a biocide that has an effectiveness of 99.999% would still leave an estimated 10 viable spores per square inch. As such, mold growth may recur if the underlying moisture problem is not resolved.

Below is a video explaining the dangers of chlorine in swimming pools and municipal water supplies. Bleach, of course, is a much higher concentration of chlorine…

Toxic Ignorance Awards

Recent news stories displaying ignorance about the dangers posed by toxic mold and bleach…

Wyoming flood victims, beware of toxic mold

Musty smell in basement usually means mold growth

What to do in case of a flood